The first time I tried this hairstyle, I wanted to do something different. I started switching back and forth between a normal braid and a fishtail braid, and it resulted in mixed braids and a messy bun. I really love it because you can not figure out exactly what kind of braid it is because it’s really two in one!
I threw two more braids on the opposite side, so it was not “naked” on one side. It’s definitely a bit different from what I usually do because I was just a little bit crazy about throwing braids and switching things around. But I totally love it and I hope you will!
Ps This is Braid # 3 in my new series, 12 Braids for Spring! Take a look at Braid # 1 and # 2!
Mixed braids and messy buns
- Step 1 / Take a piece of hair on the heavy side with a right part and divide it into three sections.
- Step 2 / Make a stitch of a normal braid and cross the side strands across the middle.
- Step 3 / Cross the back strand over the middle and add a section.
- Step 4 / Then cross the front strand over the middle and bring in another section.
- Step 5 / Now divide the middle section and add each half to the two side strands to start a fishtail braid.
- Step 6 / Make three stitches of a fishtail braid, cross small pieces from each side, over the top and attach them to the opposite side.
- Step 7 / Now cross a small section from the back half, take a section and insert both into the front section. This is the same method of creating a Fishtail French Braid.
- Step 8 / Next, divide the front strand into two so that there are three sections again.
- Step 9 / Cross the back strand over the middle and bring in a section.
- Step 10 / Then cross the front strand over the middle and bring in another section.
- Step 11 / Repeat steps 9 and 10 to create two stitches.
- Step 12 / Now split the middle strand and braid three stitches of a fishtail collar.
- Step 13 / After 3 or 4 stitches, apply one strand of hair on both sides so that the braid fits snugly.
- Step 14 / Create another fishtail sting.
- Step 15 / Then split the lower strand and braid the rest of the hair in a normal style braid.
- Step 16 / Tighten the braid with a transparent rubber band.
- Step 17 / On the right side of the head, create two regular braids next to each other, starting at the part.
- Step 18 / Now put all hair, except the braid on the left side, in a low ponytail and create a messy bun.
- Step 19 / Wrap the braid from the left side over the top of the bun and clockwise around the bun.
- Step 20 / Secure the end with a hairpin and spritz the style with hairspray to set it.